"Are all of our prayers answered? Yes, they are; what people who ask that question
often don't realize is that sometimes the answer to your prayer is no."
-Sister Mary Ignatius

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Bunch of Questions Meme


Since  Tracy and Jamie Jo played along with this meme (or Bunch of Questions), I thought I'd join the fun.
Here are The Rules:
  1. Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
  2. They must also answer the 11 questions the “tagger” has set for them.
  3. They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
  4. They must then choose 11 bloggers and tag them in their post.
  5. These “lucky” bloggers must then be told.
  6. No tag backs


Eleven things about myself:
1.  I observed a milestone birthday last month.  The first digit is a 5, and the last rhymes with GO!  :-)  Craig was in Afghanistan, so that's why I observed it, and didn't celebrate it. I was really melancholy that day, but once the day passed, I don't feel any differently. 
2.  I have three grown, married children, and three younger kids at home yet. (My second crop, I tease.)
3.  I have 5 grandchildren, with number six due almost any day.  I love being a Grandma, but it gets tricky sometimes because Crash is only 14 months older than his oldest niece.
4.  I am currently enjoying the blissfully quiet house.  Dad and the 3 kids are deer hunting 'out back'.  The boys didn't make it home for deer hunting this year.
5.  We own 70 acres.  We need to reconfigure a few things, then we'll get more calves to raise for beef.  All is vacant in the livestock area.
6.  We currently have 31 hens and 1 rooster living in the chicken coop, and roaming the yard.  I also have an unintentional stockpile of eggs in the fridge.  Fresh eggs, any one?
7.  We used to live in Alamogordo, NM when Craig was stationed at Holloman AFB.  Loved it there.  We hope to go back to visit Alamogordo and surrounding area.  Last time we were there was October 1991... and that's way too long.
8.  We also lived in Wilmington, Ohio for 6+ years before moving back to Northern MN.  Like to go back there too....  I've been back several times since we moved. Last visit was in '02...   wow. Didn't realize that's been 10 years already.  Hmm, time to go back for a visit.  
9.  We have no home school group around us.  Kinda miss the camaraderie, and I know the kids would love to have other home schoolers to visit and befriend.  MN Catholic Home Education Conference is my one time each year to talk with, and glean ideas from, other home schooling moms.  I wish it'd last an entire week....  J/K (kinda).
10.  I've been making plans for Christmas already.  I was awake at 5am this morning, trying to figure out where everyone will sleep, as all the kids and grandkids will be home!  It'll be crazy-busy, but great.  We always enjoy the big family gatherings. 
11.  Craig and I were HS sweethearts, got married when I was 19 and he was 21, and we've been married for over 30 years.  Would I do anything differently, could I do it all over?  Nope, not a thing.  Love that man that God has blessed me with, and I thank Him.




Eleven Questions Tracy Made Up:
  1. If you could go anywhere for one month, where would you go and why?  I'd love to go back to Hawaii, if cost was not a factor, and bring the kids with us this time.  Why? Have you ever hiked a mountain to see the sunrise over the ocean?  Felt so close to God I think I could've touched Him.  The atmosphere in Hawaii is just so relaxed and different, so soothing.  People actually slow down on the freeway to let traffic in!!!  It was amazing.
  2. If you could move to another country, where would you move and why?  I'm not sure...  don't think I want to 'move' to another country.  I'd love to visit Italy, and Croatia, Slovenia, Poland... lands of my ancestors, but wouldn't want to move anywhere else.
  3. If you could develop a talent for something, what would it be?  Maybe photography.  And listening.  I need to become a better listener.
  4. What are three things you really want, but don't really need? hmm. Tough questions! Concerning our remodel, I want granite countertops, but will 'settle' for butcher block...     I want a separate school room, but will continue to school in the kitchen...   and I want all 231 items on my Amazon wish list!
  5. What are your own, personal, smartphone rules? (stoplights, check-out lanes, during meals, in the presence of others, in the bed/bathroom)  Smartphone?!  Nope, just an old fashioned digital phone.  And we're mighty lucky to have service at the house!
  6. City or country?  I love visiting the city, but country!!
  7. Major or minor music?  Major
  8. Cats or dogs?  Both
  9. Red wine or white?  neither
  10. What century and country would you have liked to live in?  I think the Wild West Era would have been amazing.
  11. Are you still friends with your college roommates and bridesmaids?  College roommates, no.  We sent Christmas cards until just a few years ago...  My maid of honor was my sister, so yes to her but no, none of the other bridesmaids.
 

My Eleven Questions for you:
1.  What is your favorite, most vivid childhood memory?
2.  Whom do you admire most? Why?
3.  What is your ideal way to spend the day?  (Without concern about cost, chores, or other obligations.)
4.  What is your dream for your children?
5.  What is one dream your have for your spouse?
6.  What is your favorite pastime/hobby?
7.  If you could live a lifestyle other than the one you currently live, what would it be?
8.  Your favorite fictional character is?
9.  What is your one vice you'd love to be rid of?
10.  How would you like most to spend your Golden Years?
11.  What season or holiday do you enjoy most, and why?



Eleven Tagged Bloggers: Well, I am pretty sure I don't have eleven bloggers read my blog, so if you want to play along, consider yourself tagged!!  Or if you'd rather,  just answer in the com box.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing along! Isn't it fun?

    And just for fun, I can't help answering some of your questions!

    1. What is your favorite, most vivid childhood memory? Playing outside with neighbors for hours and hours.

    2. Whom do you admire most? Why? Can't think of anyone in particular. I admire a lot of people, some people accomplish amazing things, but people are people.

    3. What is your ideal way to spend the day? (Without concern about cost, chores, or other obligations.) Reality or fantasy? In reality I like a balance of work and rest, indoor and outdoor time, time alone and time connecting with friends. Too often, days are too much work, indoors, alone (without talking to other adults).

    4. What is your dream for your children? To grow up to be productive adults, being who God made them to be, friends with each other, and with a strong faith in God and the Church.

    5. What is one dream your have for your spouse? For him to succeed in his work, provide for our future, and to be a thoughtful and compassionate person.

    6. What is your favorite pastime/hobby? Knitting, reading, listening to classical music.

    7. If you could live a lifestyle other than the one you currently live, what would it be? I always thought I would make a great heiress. No really, I like to look at Susan Branch's blog and admire her talents and home on Martha's Vineyard.

    8. Your favorite fictional character is? Eleanor and Marianne in Sense & Sensibility.

    9. What is your one vice you'd love to be rid of? Anger, gluttony, pride, covetousness . . .

    10. How would you like most to spend your Golden Years? I'd actually like to be in the city to attend concerts and work or volunteer for an orchestra. I'd like to have time to exercise so I can garden without my back going out and enjoy my adult children and grandchildren.

    11. What season or holiday do you enjoy most, and why? It has to autumn here in MN. Spring is too chilly and wet, summer too buggy, and winter just way too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been saving this all day for the time to come and do it!

    I'll try, you came up with such good questions!

    1. Sleeping over at my aunts house, on the floor, and hearing the phone ring in the middle of the night, with the announcement that I had baby sister!! (I was 8)

    2. I couldn't think of anyone alive that I admire the most, I keep thinking about Blessed Mother Teresa, I always say to myself, what would Mother Teresa do?

    3. Ideal way to spend my day? Go to Mass and adoration, exercise, spend time outside at a park with the kiddos!

    4. I hope my children all grow up with a strong faith and a strong sense of sin. I pray for that every day. My goal for them is heaven. Of course I want them to be happy and loving and joyful.

    5. To get a truck. A big truck that fits his tall body (he's 6 ft 6) Someday. He drives this old jeep, that we can hear coming over a block away, the seat is broken and so there's no back, and it is twisted sideways....we just can never afford it for him and he is always the one who sacrifices what he really wants.

    6. I guess my hobby now is blogging. But, I also love to exercise and I used to like to scrapbook and make homemade cards

    7. I've always wanted to be a wife and a mom. For a while I questioned if God wanted me to be a nun. SO maybe a lifestyle of a sister.

    8. Maria in the Sound of Music

    9. Diet Coke. I have given that stuff so many times I can't count. I hate being a slave to it, craving it.

    10. With my husband. I look forward to being with him all the time. I also want to be good friends with all my kids and be there for them to help with the grandkiddos!

    11. Season? Spring when everything comes alive and then summer....I love warm and green and lots of flowers!

    My answers are so superficial compared to Tracy's, especially my truck answer and my Diet Coke answer--hahah!! Tried to go with my first thought.

    Very fun, I loved reading your answers too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, geeze, do I dare reply, thereby admitting to the word that, "yes, I do read my mother's blog?"

    1. Most vivid memory: Standing in the backyard in Alamo watching F-4s and F-15s fly over the house in Alamo...OR... when, at about the ripe old age of 5 or 6 years old, I used some words that could've sounded like "tuba brass brother truckers" when referring to my sister and her friends, not realizing the severity of what I had actually said. I remember standing against the wall in the kitchen in 409 Saturn Circle, terrified while you and Dad interrogated me, not sure what I had said and what was so bad about it. Prior to getting my mouth washed with soap I remember crying and wishing that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would burst thru the patio door and rescue me. The whole experience worked. I didn't use those words again...until going to a good catholic college...

    2. Who do I admire? So many to chose from. I'll cop out and say Pope Benedict XVI - for his clear intellect and keen vision.

    3. Ideal day: Wake up as the sun rises above the lake on a crisp summer morning. Throw on a hoodie, unzip the tent and step outside to see the lake as still as glass, while a loon calls in the distance, echoing off the hills and waters. Start the fire, warm up some coffee and fry some eggs and bacon, giving chores no consideration, I head to the water to toss a line in. Maybe land a northern or a bass from shore. Pack some gorp, crackers, cheese, jerky and hit the water for a padddle to some island somewhere on the lake. Its warmed to tee shirt weather now, so we take a dive into the water to cool down, enjoy some shore lunch then do some lazy fishing, jigging and lindy rigging for walleyes for supper. Paddle back to camp a little early, clean the fish, stoke the coals, get the fire going have a nice fresh walleye dinner with some taters. Head to the shore to cast some more, maybe sit with a good book for a little while til the sun goes down. Watch the stars come out and the Northern Lights dance, put the hoodie back on and set up a nice fire. Tell some stories of "back when" and share tales of trips past. Contemplate the history (human and natural) of the lake and listen to the wolves howl and loons call, while slowly contemplating a nice cup of Makers Mark. Wrap up with reading a little Robert Service by the fading flames of the campfire and singing the Canticle of Simeon. Whether its with my family, or the guys or a combination thereof, a BWCA summer day...

    4. Dream for my kids? For them to have a simple life, knowing they are deeply loved and able to find happiness and pursue their dreams while ultimately getting to be happy with the Lord forever.

    5. Dream for Maggie? That she could either find a paying job which would put her true intelligence, wit and skills to their fullest use or that we can get to a point where she can put her true intelligence, wit and skills to their fullest use as a full-time stay at home mom.

    6. Reading good books, throwing baseball or playing hockey

    7. Either a high-profile sports agent ("Show meeee the money!") or, more likely, a career in the Air Force Special Operations as PJ in a Special Tactics Squadron for a few years, then a Pararescue squad after that, moving up to Combat Rescue Officer. If I was able to do all that by age 28, then I'd sign on for flight school, spend 6 years in an MH-60 before moving on to fixed-wing. Captain a AC-130 gusnhip over the skies of some third-world warlord's camp. Maybe get to command for a few years and fly off into the sunset...

    8. Favorite fictional character - King Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

    9. Vice to get rid of - Eating too dang much too dang often

    10. Spend my golden years - See number 3, above.

    11. Favorite Season - Baseball. Why? Six words: "And we'll see you tomorrow night!" If you don't allow that answer then my second favorite is Hunting. Words can't describe that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. What is your favorite, most vivid childhood memory? Armed Forces Day in NM...you would make blueberry muffins, and Ry and I would run out to the swingset and sit there, eating the muffins, and just wait...we would hear the F-15s RIGHT before they flew directly over the house on their flightpath from wherever they had just done their fly-by. I can still hear, see, and feel that feeling........

    2. Whom do you admire most? Why? JPII, because he had a kindness about him that radiated....can't really explain it. And because of the forgiveness he not only taught but lived out. I've been deeply hurt in life, and JPII's example of forgiving someone when they least deserve it is inspirational and humbling.

    3. What is your ideal way to spend the day? (Without concern about cost, chores, or other obligations.) In Rome...wake up and watch the busy streets come alive, head out to the market for some fresh fruit and bread...then wander around the city, avoiding the large tourist traps, taking side roads and finding that amazing restaurant that Rat took me to. Then heading to Piazza del Popolo mostly to people watch and dip my tootsies in the fountain to cool down, then sitting in the park that overlooks it to further cool down in the shade. I'd end the day by walking over to St. Peter's Square to watch Vatican City light up as dusk settled in, while enjoying gelato of EVERY flavor. :)

    4. What is your dream for your children? That they may be faithful to God and themselves, they they may never know pain and be hurt in any way, shape or form, and my most desperate dream is that they get to heaven. (I know that second one is impossible, but it's a dream.)

    5. What is one dream your have for your spouse? That he gets the respect he deserves from his employees and the credit he deserves from his superiors. It's hard to see him come home from work as beat down as he is.

    6. What is your favorite pastime/hobby? Pinteresting...and doing the crafts I find on said site. I do, however, enjoy reading, scrapbooking, and quite enjoy fishing.

    7. If you could live a lifestyle other than the one you currently live, what would it be? Full time hairstylist/cosmetologist at a spa resort. The only reason I can't wait for the kids to move out in 18+ years is so I can do that! :D

    8. Your favorite fictional character is? Betsy Ray! I lived vicariously through her in all those books...

    9. What is your one vice you'd love to be rid of? My seemingly increasing OCD. (Why jeans HAVE to be folded a certain way is beyond me...but they must be. *sigh*)

    10. How would you like most to spend your Golden Years? Still getting butterflies and losing my breath whenever John kisses me. And going to Twins and Wild games together. :)

    11. What season or holiday do you enjoy most, and why? Christmas is my most favoritest time of the year EVER. I LOVE the coziness about it, the decorating, the music, food, family...lovelovelove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, weren't YOU Betsy?

      AND Piazza Popolo?!?!?!? better off to keep walking up to gli Borghese!

      If you have to hangout in a piazza, Navona's where its at! There's an awesome little trattoria between there and Pantheon. Italia, ti manco!

      Delete
    2. To some extent, yes...I was...

      Popolo was so much more serene!!!! Novona was way too busy and loud (there was some HUGE crafting vendors thing going on or something) and those slightly creepy statue mimes were there. :/ We just sat on some church steps and tried to talk...but I suppose if I wanted loud music and crazy Italian men whistling at me like I was a dog I'd go "enjoy" Novona again...but Laura and I both agreed Popolo was nicer for *our* tastes.

      Delete